CBD products seem to be everywhere these days. More and more people are discovering all these products have to offer, and manufacturers are continually finding new products to add CBD to and sell.
And now, CBD is not just for people. It’s gone to the dogs (so to speak).
CBD pet products are relatively new to the CBD and cannabis market, but they are quickly developing a large fan base. These days, pet owners treat their dogs as members of the family and go out of their way to keep them happy, comfortable, and healthy. So, it’s no surprise pet owners have started looking to CBD to help ease various issues pets experience.
What Is CBD?
If you don’t use CBD yourself, you may be familiar with it but not really know what it is and how it can help your pooch.
CBD, or cannabidiol, is one of more than 100 compounds found in the cannabis sativa plant. CBD can be extracted from both marijuana and hemp plants and offers many benefits.
CBD is said to provide users with feelings of relaxation. It’s also an anti-inflammatory, and some suggest it helps alleviate inflammation, soothe skin redness, and even ease sore muscles. It could also offer many other health benefits. But, what makes CBD so unique is that it does all this without getting users high.
THC is the compound in marijuana that gets users high. CBD does not. So, when using CBD products, you can enjoy all it has to offer without the worry that you (or your pet) will become stoned.
CBD and Your Dog
Humans have been using CBD products for a long time, and many view CBD as a more natural way to treat various ailments. It only makes sense that people have started to look at using CBD as a natural way to alleviate multiple symptoms their pups experience as well.
Some possible uses of CBD oil for dogs include:
- To ease anxiety. This covers anxiety triggered by fireworks and everyday anxiety some pets experience.
- To relieve joint pain from arthritis. This can also help improve your pet’s mobility.
- To control seizures, in addition to other treatments prescribed by a veterinarian.
- To soothe painful paws caused by allergies or walking on hot surfaces.
Before adding CBD as a part of your pet’s pain management regiment (or whatever you plan to use your CBD for), be sure to consult with your veterinarian. They can help you understand the risks and benefits that come with using CBD on your dog.
How to Use CBD Oil on Your Dog
Just like humans have options in ways they use CBD, so do pets. The most common CBD product for pets is CBD oil. This can be applied topically by rubbing it on their joints. Or, CBD oil can be ingested by putting a drop or two in their food or on a treat. Some companies even make CBD dog treats.
You’ll need to determine how best to give CBD to your dog based on their taste, preference, and the reason you are giving it to them.
It is essential that you give your dog the correct CBD dosage. The product you purchase should have some dosing information. But, remember, it is always better to err on the side of caution. Start with a low dose and see how your dog reacts and if it seems to have the effect you were aiming for.
However, if you are not sure where to start on your dosage for your pet, experts recommend using roughly 1-2 milligrams per pound of weight, no more than twice daily. Again, it is better to start on the lower end of this estimate and contact your vet before giving CBD to your dog.
What to Look for When Buying CBD for Your Dog
It can be tempting to purchase CBD oil marketed for humans and give it to your pet. After all, aren’t they the same thing? The answer is a little more complicated, and experts recommend only giving your pet CBD created for animals. This helps ensure there are no other compounds, like THC that is bad for dogs, present in the oil you use on your dog.
In addition to looking for products made specifically for your dog, when looking for CBD pet oil, you should:
- Look for organic products or products that contain only natural ingredients. This helps ensure the product does not include harmful chemicals like pesticides and other solvents. Be sure to read the ingredients list before you buy.
- Look for a certificate of analysis (COA). Reputable manufacturers will use third-party labs to do independent testing. This analysis will confirm that the amount of CBD the producer claims is in the product is there. It also ensures there is no THC in the product. COAs can usually be found on the manufacturer’s website.
- Look at the price. Like many things in life, CBD oil for pets sold at low prices often indicates a lower-quality product. You should plan to spend a little more to get a quality product free from additives and harmful chemicals.
CBD for pets is one of the newest crazes in the cannabis world. Many dog parents use it as a natural way to help alleviate pain, soothe achy joints, and more. Though, right now, there is little research done on the effect CBD has on animals, science is starting to look into it, so we can better care for our furry family members.
Keep in mind that you should buy CBD products created specifically for pets, as this will help ensure there is no THC or other harmful compounds and chemicals in them. You should also never give your pet your CBD as many CBD edibles, like gummies, are made with sweeteners like xylitol, which can be toxic for pets.
As always, consult with your veterinarian if you have questions about using CBD oil on your dog. They can help you understand the pros and cons and make the decision for you and your pet.
One thought on “CBD Oil for Dogs: What Is It and What Does It Do?”